So, I'm administering my last standardized test today...and while I have the free time I'll blog while sipping my Wawa coffee. Counting today, there are 39 more school days until June 5th...which is bringing me closer to the realization that I need to get a job soon for the summer. It also, as well as last year at this time, brings me to a place where I have to look back in retrospect at the past year to the path God has brought me down and how I've progressed as a Christian and a teacher (hopefully I've been able to do both). I'm realizing that I have more time to work on things relating to school, but not as much prep. is needed for my classes at the moment...so, I've been reading and researching a lot more. My creative juices seem to be flowing more lately w/ways to incorporate better teaching methods, visual aids, and ways to incorporate more non-linear thinking & discussions. Which brings me to an idea (though not new) to brainstorming w/other Christian school teachers that happen by this site: What methods have worked for you? What are you finding in your subject/topic is most profitable or valuable to your students? How have you incorporated Biblical life principles into seemingly destitute subject matter? I think this would be an interesting and profitable discussion for all those who are part of shaping young minds. Well, time escapes me but I want to leave with a parting verse...Ps. 2:11-12, "Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son, let he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him." See Piper's comments on it for further elaboration.

3 comments:

Nate,
Even though I am not currently teaching I really do miss being in the classroom. Like you were saying there ARE so many opportunities that we sometimes miss or are able to take great advantage of. I had a hard time with middle school students that had not been taught critical thinking skills and found myself leaving subject matter ALOT to teach those basic skills. The one thing that amazed me most about "history" was the amount of primary sources that are out there that I was not even aware of as a student! I loved teaching first-person history!!! More so than text book any day ( I wanted to forget the texts!!- perhaps to a fault). I had small classes and was easily able to print portions of ancient works for them to read in class on a daily basis. I would have them read the cuttings and complete an "analysis type- worksheet". I did have trouble with them vocalizing their findings. I don't think that would be the case with every group of students!!Have you done much teaching with Primary Sources? I'd love to hear what you do.

-rachel beaton/ashmore

Hey, Rach, Thanks for the input. I feel the same way about textbooks and such....I do see how they are useful though. I've used a lot of primary documents, especially recently. I had students compare the Dec. of Independence to the French Declaration of the Rights of Man. In US this past week, we've gone through the Neutrality Act of 1939, A presidential address in 1940, Lend-Lease Act, and Atlantic Charter all by going through the documents themself. It was a Bennett technique/idea that I've continued....I know its valuable...I'm not sure my students always see it that way. Thank you for your input...its good to hear how others are making teaching more meaningful...great insight!

Nate -

I'm not a teacher, so I'm afraid I don't have any inspirational thoughts for you along those lines, but I did want to say hi! Glad everything's going good; we'll have to catch up sometime. I just started a blog this morning (it finally got me) and I've got a few recent pics on there if you feel like checking it out. Have an awesome day!

Anneke :)