Good Ole' Northland (11/7-11/9)


(11/7) Getting to Northland was a little more of a trek w/pretty much nothing in between....and there in the middle of nowhere are the bright lights of Northland. I didn't think I'd be back this soon...just over a year and half from graduation, and I was surprised how distant it felt to be back. I was surprised how few people I knew, but it was good to reconnect. Some of the PR/basketball guys put on a little mixer for the teens...better than pills, but..no free coupons...didn't matter. Tim & I searched around for a place to get a wireless connection so we could check on election stats...so, needless to say we went to sleep slightly discouraged. Before that, we decided to crank call the guys/girls dorm...sending security to tell our teens to be quiet in their rooms...just like the good 'ol days.

(11/8) So, chapel was the first highlight...Olson is always refreshing to hear. Spent some time catching up w/friends: Mel, Crystal, Erik, Brad, Suemi, and others. Went on the Nland tour....not sure why...wasn't too impressed but ah well. Rehashed w/Dr. Bennett after his class....still impressed w/his wisdom on education. Tried to get some grades entered in the afternoon...after a while, realized it wasn't worth it mainly b/c I kept finding people to talk to and distract me from doing it. That night after dinner, we took the teens to youth group at 1st Baptist in Pound (Tim's extension while at Nland) at Faith's gym in Coleman. My cousin, Justin, helps lead it and the teens had a good time...I was supposed to somehow get to Section 8 (where I went while in school) for their coffee shop/college bible study...to Jen, I still feel sorry about missing it...my phone went dead & I could do nothing about it.

(11/9) Wanted to leave after chapel...but we thought it was student body...nope, class chapel & not worth it. So, I had told Tim we'd try to get breakfast b/c you can make waffles in the morning now....well, after getting up at 7am...we found out that they are trying a parfait bar on Thursday morning...of all the days. Well, we were disappointed, but instead spent the morning in the grind...a good way to say adieu again to Nland....good weather there by they way. Now, we got to head to Maranasty by the afternoon, but are trying to delay the inevitable.

Overall, the teens really liked Northland...I would say the best, and I'm not being biased. Some of the comments: "If Pillsbury & Northland are around the same price, why would anyone go to Pillsbury?" "I can't believe people are as friendly as the promotional video! Its really that way." "So, can we skip Maranatha and just go home." "If God's leading me into the ministry then Northland's where I'm going"

I'm not trying to just toot Northland's horn...I would agree that I loved my time there & would strongly promote it...I would go to Northland again for my college education if I had to do it all over again. We had about 4-5 that seemed strongly interested in going there...so, we'll continue to pray for them in whatever decisions they decide to make.

One last parting shot from our guest room of the nice green grass...which a day later was covered in snow (from what I've heard).

2 comments:

we're heading up to the great beyond for the high school basketball tournament tomorrow. looking forward to it. and to the exposure for the kids. sounds like you guys had fun.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.