New Year...Same God!


I'm amazed that in this past year God has blessed me so much with an amazing position of ministry, great opportunities of mentoring, and a deeper love for Him and His Word. As I think of this new year, I'm praying/thinking for a couple of things. I'm praying that I'm taken out of my comfort zone. I think we as Christians, myself definitely included, take the comfortable way through our day, year, and even life. I want God to work and I want to be shaken, picked up, thrown back down, and torn away from the existence that I've made for myself. It may seem contrary to what is expected b/c nobody wants to go through a struggle or be caught in a dire circumstance. I want that and it may seem odd, but I feel that I've been too comfortable for too long. As I continue to read and study God's word, I'm drawn to passages like the the often-quoted Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me! I want to see my level of security stripped so that only God and I remain. What does this look like...not sure, but Paul sure came to that realization and I want to see that firsthand. I want God to use me...I want Him to be able to use me in spite of my failures and insecurities. In my weakness, a transcendent God must be magnified...This overpowering/all-consuming influence must permeate my very core. Oh, for the God of Abraham, Moses, and Elijah to be evident in my life. I want my students to come to a more mature view of God and His presence. If I'm a part of that, who cares...it must and can only be God's working. I want to spend less time, money, physical exertion to making myself happy and more on furthering His kingdom. I want to not waste the time I have been given with frivolous endeavors, fulfilling Paul's mantra to "seek the things...and set my mind on things that are above", to "put to death the deeds of the flesh", to "count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...that I may gain Christ", to "know him....becoming like him in his death", "to be an imitator of God...and walk in love as Christ loved us", and to in all things "rejoice in the Lord" so that all will see Him and not me. So, this same God that from eternity past chose me will be glorified whether I live or die. In 2007, may Christ be glorified in my life as I'm removed from my haven of American comfort and given the opportunity to suffer, serve, give, love, rejoice, and to be..to be what He's created me to be.

0 comments: