Chasing the Wind

sitting on the roof reading Ecclesiastes this morning, I was struck afresh with the brevity of this existence. Brevity that breathes passion; brevity that breeds reflection; brevity begetting levity. An "eat, drink, and be merry" attitude (1 Cor 15:32) that lives and dies in the moment. No thought for the future, no recognition of affections being set on things above, no cogitation of the finished work of Christ on the cross, and no consideration of the sealing work that the resurrection induces.

A realization of our finite existence can lead to a lascivious lifestyle. Outside of Christ, our life's are nothing more than, at best, meaningless attempts at fulfilling a higher purpose which are in reality engulfing waves of our inner self-gratification surrounded in a cloud of damning hedonism. Nothing without Christ; Everything in Christ.

Even in Christ, sometimes I see myself "chasing the wind". Seeking material over immaterial, the fleeting over the fulfilling, or momentary pleasure over "joy unspeakable and full of glory".

So, I'm freshly affected this morning by Solomon's words. There's definitely some slight hyperbole in his pen, but the gravity of the truth is unmistakable.

13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

15 What is crooked cannot be straightened;
what is lacking cannot be counted.

16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

Ecc 1:13-18


I think I'll take a page from his book. We see it, we feel it, we know it, but often we don't live it. God has fashioned us, designed us, rescued us, and redeemed us for something greater. Words can't seem to express the enlightening graciously given by the Spirit and experienced this morning while moseying through the wisdom literature.

Coupled with this song by The Ember Days (which again providentially found today) that expresses the heart of the redeemed sinner who desires something more...something tangible...something out of his instinctive grasp...something divine.



"Chasing the Wind"

I’m discontent with chasing the wind
I want to feel more than air on my skin
Like the tide feelings come and go
Here today gone tomorrow

I want love, I want You
So take this beaten heart
And let it beat for You

I’m scared, yeah I’m scared
Only You know how I feel
When I say I don’t want to feel anything but love
True love, true love

Watch me bloom cause soon I’ll wither
But Your love lasts forever
Like the sun life is beautiful
When I rise and when I fall

0 comments: