Day Off in Center City (a week ago)

I was greatly torn when I was given last Friday (1/08) off. I love the opportunity, but still being technically a temp I don't get paid for mandatory time off. So, to use the day to the best of my ability...in a cavalcade of photoblogging


As I stood waiting for the train at my Margaret-Orthodox station about to head into center city...oh brown leather shoes the places we've been.


If only this was my train, but as you can see...other side of the tracks (just a fan of the pic)


I know its touristy, & I've been there countless times...still, RTM is one of my favorite places in the city which I decided to stop in for a quick bite (didn't turn out so quick)...ended up spending most of the afternoon there.




Helpful hint to the traveler desiring awesome local cuisine on a budget, here's the best roast pork sandwich in Philly (dare I say in all of SE Pennsylvania). Nestled in the center thoroughfare of RTM, Tony Dinics (which has been given much recognition most recently on Man v. Food & rightfully so) makes the meanest Italian Roast Pork which in my opinion must be complemented w/their fresh sharp provolone broccoli rabe. Seriously, the sharpness of the cheddar meshes w/the bitterness of the greens w/the slow roasted pork...my mouth waters thinking of it (hey this was my day to cheat on my diet so I took full advantage). Notice the satisfied bite in the last pic...seriously, you've gotta try it.


So my goal was to walk a little more around the city after lunch, but I got distracted by a book I was determined to finish. Wild at Heart by John Eldredge (subtitled - Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul) prolonged my stay, & I was much obliged. After much scribbling/markings, I was greatly disenchanted w/my current state & longed for the "manhood" he so aptly described. Having received the book in November, I was determined to read a book that I'd purchased recently, and when I started I had to finish. As you can see, I had to purchased coffee (Old City...local & delightful) & a cupcake (quickly becoming my favorite guilty pleasure...this one happened to be made of lemon cake w/blackberry jam from The Flying Monkey...and I'm convinced that cupcakes must have a crunchy (not stale) consistency on the cap...big fan).


Whether it was the delightful cornucopia of local faire I enjoyed or the 15 minute stern lecture a mother gave her daughter on the L-train about the non-existence of Santa Claus or the guy who followed me for 2 blocks off the train trying to sell me cologne out of a suitcase (I did it once about 5 yrs ago & vowed never again) or the fact I got off two stops early so I could walk the extra 1.5 miles home or the evening of Chinese food & good conversation w/my roommate...this day (though not monetarily productive) was enjoyable as I relished in common grace.

0 comments: