To Whom Shall We Go?

"Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." John 6:68 (ASV)

"We are not familiar enough with the Gospel; we are afraid of knowing it well. We ignore its teaching and skim its meaning. We carefully study the words of men and neglect those of God. One word of the Gospel is worth more than all the other books in the world together. It is the source of all truth. With what love, faith, and reverence ought we to listen to Jesus Christ. Let us say with St. Peter, 'Lord, to whom shall we go?' One moment of meditation, of love, and of the presence of God will give us more understanding of truth than all the reasonings of men."

from Meditations and Devotions by Francois Fenelon


Conviction sets in when I read this because my thoughts are not always so high of God. I agree that sometimes I'm afraid of the Gospel...not because I know it's life-giving, but because it's life-altering; not because it's lacking in any way, but because it's overwhelming; not because it's adequate, but it supplies every need (which leaves me dazed & wondering what part I play); not because it's freeing, but because it's demanding; not because it's selfless, but because it's self-deprecating; not because I did anything to deserve it, but because I did nothing to deserve it.

0 comments: